When writing specifications for an Alarmed PDS, consider these critical requirements:
- Patented Intrinsic Fiber Monitoring™ protects every fiber in an optical cable by monitoring as few as one fiber within the cable making the entire cable sensitive to intrusion attempts.
- Capable of monitoring hardened PDS pathways to detect intrusions into the carrier using the legacy Alarmed PDS technique of monitoring a sensing cable installed inside the pathway.
- Monitors either active fibers carrying live traffic or dark unused fibers.
- Monitors up to four continuous optical paths in only a single rack unit. Using Network Integrity System’s patented Hub and Spoke technology, a single INTERCEPTOR can provide protection for many dozens of end-user drops or multiple remote buildings.
- Plug and Protect™ technology allows INTERCEPTOR to begin protecting immediately after attachment to the optical cable infrastructure.
- Reports intrusions using any or all of the following mechanisms:
- Dry-Contact Interface
- E-mail/text page
- SNMP Trap (using SNMPv3)
- Derives monitoring thresholds from an automatic configuration or learning cycle or by using values manually entered by the operator.
- Has the ability to generate a revised set of auto-configuration thresholds while continuing to monitor and protect the cable using the existing threshold values.
- Detects disturbances to a fiber, which would cause attenuation of less than 0.01 dB, i.e. undetectable by traditional attenuation measurement.
- Incorporates a management interface accessible by Telnet, SSH or direct serial connection.
- Available in 62.5um and 50um multimode, and single mode versions.