Secure Passive Optical Networks (PON, GPON, EPON)
INTERCEPTOR utilizes PON technology to deliver CNSSI 7003 Compliant Voice, Video & Data over a secure fiber infrastructure
Passive Optical Networks (PON) provide high-speed, high-bandwidth and secure voice, video and data service delivery over a combined fiber network. Compared to active Ethernet, PON technology offers:
- 70% lower capital costs
- 80% less power consumption and heat output
- 90% reduction in floor, rack and closet space
Secure PON combines the benefits of a Passive Optical Network (PON, GPON, EPON) with the cost savings of the INTERCEPTOR Alarmed-Armored PDS™.
- Up to 66% deployable savings vs Legacy PDS
- Up to 75% cost savings on moves/adds/changes
- Rapid scalability and reconfiguration of networks
- Support for multiple network classifications
- Combined PON + PDS cost savings up to 80%
Example of a Secure PON with Separate Network Classifications
How it works:
In a fiber-to-the-desktop (FTTD) PON system, the Optical Line Terminal (OLT) provides service for up to 64 PON interfaces. A single PON interface supports up to 32 Optical Network Terminals (ONTs) using 1×32 passive optical splitters, with the ONT providing the end user access point. The PON system therefore can support hundreds to thousands of end user Gigabit Ethernet ports from a single OLT. Conveniently, a single INTERCEPTOR can be placed at the OLT and configured to protect four separate zones, each consisting of the cable circuits running from the OLT to each group of 32 ONTs. That equates to 128 drops with a single INTERCEPTOR, making the cost of the INTERCEPTOR equipment less than $200 per drop. In some cases (e.g., US Air Force and Army policy), the use of flexible interlocking armored optical cablescan alleviate the requirement for containment in a hardened raceway, providing further cost savings and reduced complexity.
The combined Alarmed-Armored S-PON™ solution takes advantage of the following patented INTERCEPTOR capabilities:
- Intrinsic Fiber Monitoring™: monitoring fibers internal to the armored fiber optic cable to enable the entire cable as a sensor
- Point-to-Multipoint Technology™: enabling security of an entire PON zone (GPON typically a 1×32 zone architecture), drastically reducing cost/drop for security
- Smart Filtering™ Technology: eliminating false and nuisance alarms by learning acceptable ambient events in the environment on a zone-by-zone basis.
INTERCEPTOR supports multiple integration options for responding to alarms and managing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP). In addition, NIS partners are developing powerful S-PON integration tools that integrate the PDS environment and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) with the management of the network, enabling ultimate security.